since going dairy-free for my baby boy, snacking has been slightly more painful for me. my favorite snack is fruit, which still works, but i really love to snack on cheese during the day and a few bites of ice cream is a perfect snack right before bed. clearly i needed a solution to this problem.
i found one! thanks to my little brother. an avocado shake. no ice cream or yogurt needed - the avocado makes it smooth and creamy. if you love the taste of avocado then try just that. if you want it to be subtle - add more fruit! my hubby's favorite is avocado-banana-apple. my fav it avocado-apple.
skinny bovine's avocado shake
puree the following in your blender:
- crushed ice (less for 1, creamier shake - a little more for 2, slightly icier shakes. see about how much in pic below.)
- 1 ripe avocado (makes 1 or 2 shakes, depending on how much ice and fruit you add)
- milk (i use vanilla soy milk, just enough to get it to blend)
- sugar (a few spoonfuls, but add to taste. if you have a little extra cash lying around, i think this shake would be fabulous sweetened with agave nectar - and healthier too!)
other yummy things to add:
- other fruit - we've tried and liked grapefruit (see pic), apple (the whole thing, decored of course) and banana (for 2 shakes i'll do 1 avocado, 1 whole banana and 1 whole apple)
- apple juice (instead of part of the milk)
- a dash of lime juice