please leave your comments, criticisms, recipe ratings & requests or input for future posts! comment or email me at skinnybovineskitchen@gmail.com with any of the above.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

recipe of the week: simple turkey chili

i'm back!!! we finished the big move and my new kitchen is a palace! my kitchen counter is ginormous and it makes me want to do all sorts of yummy, domestic things like roll out dough for homemade noodles, pizza and cinnamon rolls.

on to the food. i found this yummy chili a few years ago on allrecipes.com. this time i stretched it really far and used it as toppings for taco salad and baked potato bar. it was great on both! though i enjoy it as its own main dish as well.

simple turkey chili (pics are the taco salad i put it on!)
slightly modified from here
8 servings

you're probably asking yourself - "does she eat everything with a quesadilla on the side?" my answer - i'm a very hungry bovine, so yes! (almost everything mexican, that is)



  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil (i omit)
  • 1 pound ground turkey (i usually use 1/2 or 3/4 lb and its plenty for us - and cheaper)
  • 1 onion, chopped (1/2 works fine)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
  • 1 (16 ounce) can black beans - drained and rinsed (my addition)
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (this makes it really spicy - adjust according to your liking!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  1. place turkey and onion in crock pot. cook until evenly brown and onions are tender.
  2. add all other ingredients to the crock pot. cook for as long as desired in crock pot.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on the new kitchen! I can't wait to one day have a ginormous kitchen myself :) Yummy chili! It's one of my favorite things to make during the week.

Andrea said...

Ooh Brit, I'm so excited I ran into this blog. I better add it to my list so I have ideas for what to eat, brilliant! We miss you guys!

healthy cooking on a budget

disclaimer: i don't claim to be an expert on cooking, weight loss or even healthy eating, but i do love to cook, find healthy, taste bud-friendly tricks and most of all, i love to eat!

qualifications: what qualifies me to blog on cooking healthy on a small budget? well, as my husband is still a student, my budget is not what you'd call large. and as for the healthy part, when i was 10 i was diagnosed with pancreatitus - a disease that doesn't effect me much anymore unless i eat food that is too greasy or has too much fat (in which case, well, let's just say i get really sick). this had steered my experience and limited cooking expertise in a health-conscious direction.

please feel free to comment, criticise, rate recipes, try ideas and make requests for future posts!