perfect shredded chicken
(can double/triple as needed)
1 chicken breast, cut into 3 pieces
enough chicken broth to just barely cover the breasts in a pan
whatever seasonings you'd like (whatever goes with your meal! - garlic, onions, bay leaf, soy sauce, chili powder, etc, etc, etc.)
1. combine chicken, broth and seasonings into a non-stick pan. bring to a boil; turn down and simmer, uncovered, until your chicken is done in the middle.
2. turn off stove, but leave on hot burner. cover with a tight lid and let it sit for 7 minutes (or longer if you have time).
3. you can shred it right then or leave it in pieces to shred later. either way, store the chicken in the broth in your fridge.
use it for any recipe that calls for shredded chicken and adjust your spices for whatever type of taste you'd like.
and here's a yummy recipe to try. i made these salads last week and they were awesome. i thought the bbq sauce was too zingy, until i put it on the salad and then it was perfect! the zing gave it that perfect salad dressing tang. mmmm..... enjoy!
priscilla from priscilla bakes posted a similar salad last week and i laughed when i saw it, knowing i was going to post this. her's looks great too!!!
bbq sauce (from "cooking with the crazy lady")
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. store in the refrigerator.
romaine lettuce, chopped
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (according to above)
canned (drained) or frozen (cooked and chilled) corn
black beans (rinsed and drained)
your favorite low-fat ranch dressing
shredded cheese, fresh cilantro and crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
anything else you'd like on here (hearts of palm sounded good to me!)
1. make bbq sauce and chicken (both above). coat shredded chicken with bbq sauce.
2. top a bed of lettuce with bbq chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, your extras and ranch dressing. drizzle a little bit of extra bbq sauce over the top.