please leave your comments, criticisms, recipe ratings & requests or input for future posts! comment or email me at skinnybovineskitchen@gmail.com with any of the above.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

recipe of the week: shepherd's pie

shepherd's pie is a classic. easy, warm and delicious. but this one is done the skinny bovine way. soooo yummy, lots of veggies, lower-fat substitutes and it's another great way to use all of those potatoes left over from the holidays. (i am the only one with some left still?? that's what happens when potatoes go on sale, i guess... i go crazy!!!) try this one out on your kids too. they should love it!

shepherd's pie
8 servings





mashed potatoes (try mine or make your own)
1 box stuffing mix
1 lb ground turkey
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 1/2 to 2 cups corn (or one can, drained)
1 1/2 to 2 cups green beans (or one can, drained)
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
grated cheese (i use cheddar jack)
1. brown ground turkey with onions and garlic in skillet until done, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
2. make stuffing according to box directions, but with no butter (yes, just use the water).
3. spread mashed potatoes 1/2 inch to 1 inch (adjust for how many potatoes you have!) at the bottom of a 13x9 in glass baking dish. spread ground turkey mixture over the top, then stuffing, then corn and green beans. spread cream of chicken soup over the top then top with grated cheese as desired.
4. bake at 350 F for 30 to 40 min or until hot throughout (sometimes i make mine ahead and put it in the fridge so i have to bake it a little longer).

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, it looks like I missed quite a bit since I checked last! Thanks for all the fun posts. I love this blog.

I also love shepherds pie. Yummy! You should try a different version my family would always make with tomato soup, hamburger, noodles, and corn, with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese on top. It's a great variation! (Maybe there is some name for that dish somewhere, who knows, but it certainly is one of those classic Mormon casseroles!)

BrittWilk said...

thanks, jess! glad you like the recent posts! and that does sound like a yummy version. definitely another classic. :)

Sharon said...

I just found your blog, basically I was intrigued about your blog name. I love your definition of a skinny bovine as I am one as well :) My coworkers freak out at how much I eat all day long.

This looks so delicious. Definitely one of my winter favorites.

BrittWilk said...

hi sharon! glad you found me and i'm glad you're a skinny bovine too! hope you come back often!

healthy cooking on a budget

disclaimer: i don't claim to be an expert on cooking, weight loss or even healthy eating, but i do love to cook, find healthy, taste bud-friendly tricks and most of all, i love to eat!

qualifications: what qualifies me to blog on cooking healthy on a small budget? well, as my husband is still a student, my budget is not what you'd call large. and as for the healthy part, when i was 10 i was diagnosed with pancreatitus - a disease that doesn't effect me much anymore unless i eat food that is too greasy or has too much fat (in which case, well, let's just say i get really sick). this had steered my experience and limited cooking expertise in a health-conscious direction.

please feel free to comment, criticise, rate recipes, try ideas and make requests for future posts!