please leave your comments, criticisms, recipe ratings & requests or input for future posts! comment or email me at skinnybovineskitchen@gmail.com with any of the above.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

recipe of the week: yummy banana muffins

here's another way to apply the principle of "waste not, want not" (see previous post). i love these muffins and they are a great way to use up over-ripe bananas and of course, they don't have any oil or butter in them. if you're not into whole wheat yet, try using 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat flour. ease your way in. :)

yummy banana muffins
makes 12 muffins


1 egg (or 1 egg white if you want to eliminate a few more calories)
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (a little bit less is still yummy if you want to make them extra healthy)
1/3 heaping cup applesauce (or plain fat free yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (expensive and definitely optional!)

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F. lightly grease one 12 cup muffin pan.
2. in a large bowl, combine egg, banana, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. in a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. gently stir flour mixture and oatmeal into banana mixture. fold in walnuts (optional). pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
4. bake in preheated oven or 15 to 20 minutes, or until light brown. remove muffins from pan and place on a wire rack to let cool before serving.

up next - my adventures in cooking for a family of 5 for a week! lots of recipes and just good plain fun (a hilarious 4-year-old, sous-chef was involved - how could it not be fun?)

recipe is a modified version of "seminary muffins" from allrecipes.com. photo is from the same.

3 comments:

Kelli Radmall said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while, but I'm very impressed with all of your recent posts. I am inspired to try to cook something this week!

BrittWilk said...

thanks, kelli! glad you're inspired! i'm going to get a little crazy and make lentil meatloaf tonight... sounds weird but it's oh so good. :)

The Foote Family said...

Hi Britt! This is Katie (used to be Davis) Foote (from Silverado). I stumbled upon your blogs while blog hopping one day and I am so happy I did. First, I have to say you are awesome! Second, I LOVE this Skinny Bovine blog. Last night I decided to try out a few recipes for the first time and let's just say I was not disappointed. They were SO good! The banana muffins were delicious. Thank you for starting this site. I want to be healthy on a budget. (I am trying to lose some weight right now, but I have felt like trying to be healthy has been expensive, and often a sacrifice of yumminess, but your website looks awesome to help me with these issues:) ) I hope you don't mind if I frequent this site. I am totally going to add it to my favorites list and try more of your recipes out if that is ok with you. Oh and if you want to check out my blog it is footefam.blogspot.com Thanks!!!

healthy cooking on a budget

disclaimer: i don't claim to be an expert on cooking, weight loss or even healthy eating, but i do love to cook, find healthy, taste bud-friendly tricks and most of all, i love to eat!

qualifications: what qualifies me to blog on cooking healthy on a small budget? well, as my husband is still a student, my budget is not what you'd call large. and as for the healthy part, when i was 10 i was diagnosed with pancreatitus - a disease that doesn't effect me much anymore unless i eat food that is too greasy or has too much fat (in which case, well, let's just say i get really sick). this had steered my experience and limited cooking expertise in a health-conscious direction.

please feel free to comment, criticise, rate recipes, try ideas and make requests for future posts!