these are the instances you should never be afraid to get creative! there are some ingredients that, when combined, you really can't go wrong. here are a few things i like to get creative with when i'm in a bind for dinner or i have random leftovers coming out my ears. i can't tell you how many leftovers have been saved from going bad with this simple dinners. no recipe needed - just get creative!
"kitchen sink" enchiladas - because i throw everything in them but the kitchen sink. possible ingredients (as many or as few as you'd like):
- leftover or frozen shredded chicken, ground meat of various varieties
- flour/corn tortillas
- red/green/white/yellow onions
- beans - black, pinto, whatever you have laying around
- rice - leftover white/brown (am i the only one that is always making too much), mexican rice (this makes a huge amount so i always have leftovers)
- sauce - homemade red enchilada sauce, leftover canned green enchilada sauce, the last of your salsa, sour cream, cream cheese, cafe rio-style cilantro lime ranch dressing (this is soooo good just thrown into the filling - yum!), plain ranch dressing, the sky is the limit!
- fresh/frozen spinach
- leftover canned tomatoes (do you ever make something that calls for 1/2 a can! argh!) or fresh tomatoes that need to be used
- peppers that need to get used - bell, jalapeno, serrano
- cheese - whatever you've got
- spices - if you're mixture is feeling a little bland toss in some garlic salt, cumin and chili powder
goulash - basically meat and beans and tomatoes with pasta
- pasta - any variety
- tomatoes - canned or fresh, or tomato sauce
- onions - any kind, and garlic
- meat of some sort (ground is best)
- beans - kidney or pinto are my favorite here
- bell peppers
- spinach - fresh or frozen
- hot sauce
- sour cream
- spices - season with garlic, chili powder and salt and pepper
veggie pasta skillet/bake - use whatever you have!
- pasta of any variety
- jar of cheap pasta sauce
- garlic, black pepper and crushed red pepper
- whatever veggies you need to use up! i.e....
- yellow squash
do you have any meals like this? please share!! we all need quick fixes like these in our dinner arsenals. :)