right before all of the excitement began, i realized that my cranky baby boy was only cranky because he is dairy intolerant. so this nursing mommy is officially off cheese, butter, milk, etc, etc, etc. considering i spend just over 10% of our yearly food budget on cheese (and it's my favorite food) this has been quite a challenge, but let me tell you - WAY worth it to have my little boy so happy! he's like a different kid. a really cute one. look at this face. do you love him? i do.
i'm starting to overcome the challenges of cooking dairy-free and have made some pretty delicious dairy-free dishes lately. stay tuned.
we'll start with this one. it was delicious!
- 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (the right way - remember?)
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. stir in the onion, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. mix in 1 can black beans and chicken broth.
- in a blender, puree remaining can of beans until smooth. mix into the pot. bring soup to a boil. reduce heat to low. mix in chicken, cumin, salt, and pepper. simmer at least 30 minutes.
stay tuned for more dairy-free deliciousness,including some more fun with avocados. my wal-mart has them for 25c a piece a lot right now so i'm basically inhaling them.